From Brogue to wingtip..A Tutorial

When I was deciding what I would wear for some of our vintage outings later in the year, I quite fancied wearing trousers or my dungarees for a change. I do try to accessorise with true vintage, but sometimes things are a little out of my budget and so I have to be a bit more creative.

So here is my take on the wingtips I had set my heart on, but at a budget price.

I found a pair of tan Brogues on Ebay for just £7.50 and then purchased some shoe dye, TRG leather penetrating dye, from Amazon which cost about £5. I chose navy as i thought this would be a good colour to cover the tan and be a fairly safe option for my first attempt. The product I bought was a stain which would penetrate the leather as opposed to a shoe colour which just sits on the top.

Having read a superb tutorial here http://thedreamstress.com/2013/09/tutorial-how-to-dye-leather-shoes-handbags/ I gathered all my supplies ready to start.

It is essential to cover your work space and wear gloves as this stuff really does stain!

I started by cleaning off all the old finish from the areas I was going to recolour. I had actually bought just the stain in error and not the complete kit with the leather prepping solution, but a quick check on the internet showed me that I could just use acetone and this worked a treat.

I masked off the areas where I didn't want the dye to be. At first I was just going to mask around the edges of the areas, but in the end decided to cover everything I needed to remain tan coloured.

This took some time, but was well worth the extra effort, 'cos the whole appeal to me of the wingtips is their sharp contrast between the two colours.

It meant that even if I wasn't as steady with my colouring as I hoped I wouldn't land up with streaks and splashes in the wrong places. Very fortuitous as it happens as two minutes into the operation I dropped my brush right on top of the shoes!

I didn't use the brush which came with the dye to do the edges, but instead used a cheap but new artists brush to make sure i got right into the crease between sole and upper and to do the outlining on each section. As in the tutorial mentioned earlier I filled in my pieces with a small piece of sponge on which I brushed dye with the brush provided with the dye. This meant I was able to do multiple thin coats and prevent blobs and smears.

I eventually coated the shoes with six thin layers of dye to get a lovely depth of colour. By the time I had fished the second shoe after each coat the first was dry enough to start the next.

I left the shoes for 48 hours to give the dye time to cure and then removed the tape. I am really pleased with the finished shoes, they are just what I wanted and I certainly won't be shy of doing some more in future.

Do let us know if you have a go, and we would be thrilled to see any pictures

Good Luck

Jenny

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • facebook-square
  • Twitter Square
  • flickr-square
  • Pinterest-Square
  • facebook-square
  • Twitter Square
  • flickr-square
  • Pinterest-Square